Pages

Friday 23 March 2012

USQ - Week 4

Looking in the rear view mirror at the highlights of Week 4 (according to the USQ timetable!)

Monday
Sleep in
Lilebeth cleaned the house
My Uni books arrived. Finally.

Tuesday
Found out my smallest brother was going to visit
Knocked off a huge chunk of one of my assignments
Had my first stare off with a student
Found out my smallest brother was not going to visit

Wednesday
Found out my smallest brother was going to visit. again.
Knocked off another huge chunk of a different assignment
Got chucked in the deep end and told I needed to teacher my first lesson for a teacher who had gone off ill. 5 mins before it started. eeek.
Stayed up till 1am building ikea furniture.

Thursday
Finished off building ikea furniture
Fetched my smallest brother from the airport
Hang times with the smallest brother

Friday
Brekky with the smallest brother
Submitted Assignment 1
Mitch and Bree arrive.

Its going to be a packed weekend of showing our most beloved friends and my brother KL. Mitch and Nate are off to the F1 while Bree shops up a storm and Steve and I cruise around.

Its been fun watching Steve cope with Asia. I love the dude, dont get me wrong. But this is his first time in Asia. He is used to Europe, its clean streets and its hygienic resurants and manicured parks. Watching him and his facial expressions is a hoot. Asia is chaos and filled with the most amazing culture groups, sights, smells {not the good ones!] and sounds.

When I think back to when I first arrived, I did turn my nose up at street food, I would not show my legs (?), would not shop at the markets, would only go to the tried and tested "whitey" places for meals, would not eat any meat, anywhere. Being the minority group was hectic and something I was not used to!

Now I will happily go to our local hawker joint, sit on metal chairs, eat off plastic plates with their cutlery, casually order chicken off the bone and not bat an eye lid at a cockroach running around. I am pretty proud of how Nate and I have embraced this place! I was reading an article in the Association of British Woman's monthly mag, and it was 10 ways expats can settle in. We have nailed all 10! Nate has lead the way, if he was not here I would back in Perth pronto! We have totally immersed ourselves in the Malaysian way of life. I think its the only way to do it.

Having Steve here has reminded me of my journey over the last few months. Its hard to gauge whether he is loving it, or kinda yet to make up his mind about this place! Nothing beats having family here though and I am so so glad he is here! Love you bro :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment