Pages

Monday 23 January 2012

The Watts Family

Andrew [Dougal] and Elizabeth [Liz] Watts. Parents of Molly [4] and Annabelle Watts [2]. Neighbours to the Bumas. Fellow member of the Association of British Women [Liz]. New found friends. What GEMS!

I am super stoaked that we have met this little family. I met Liz on a ABWM thing, was happy to know she was in the same block of Condos. Since then we have wined dined at theirs and yesterday, Liz organised a BBQ by the pool with us and two other young families.
Huddled up during the downpour

I will say, that this Condo houses LOADS of young families! I am almost sure I can boldly state, as a cold hardcore fact, that Nathanael and I are the only expats without young children.

THAT'S HOW WE LIKE IT :-)

We met another Aussie family, from over east, with their twins +1. Then another white/Malay mixed couple with their 2. And then of course the very very cute Molly and Annabelle. Are they not the two most English names? Let me tell you, those pom accents that accompany the little terrors are enough to make me give them anything they want, just to keep them talking.

One comment that Molly made has kept me giggling since I heard it! We were at the Watts for a couple glasses of wine dinner, the girls were asleep. Molly woke up from the sounds of the near by Mosque...

Molly: "Mummy, who is singing?"
Liz:"Its coming from the Mosque my darling"
Molly: "Whose wearing a mask?"

Classic.

Back to the BBQ... it started off being a rainy day, which I thought looked like it was set in for the day... but I am learning that the weather here is totally unpredictable. One minute its bucketing down with lighting and thunder, the next its sunny and clear! By the time 3pm rolled around, there was no sign of rain, and we all had the most glorious time by and in the pool. Liz has her parents over from Cyprus for a month. Phillip, Liz's dad was in the Army all his life, and her mum was telling me they have moved 22 times in the last 25 years! How insane! They decided to retire in Cyprus, and are in the middle of renovating a place - it sounds so lovely.

As a complete aside, Dougal was also in the Army for many years, in Prince Charles regiment. Before I knew this, somehow the conversation went to the Royal Wedding... I proceeded to give a long soliloquy as to why I think Charles is a snivelling bastard [totally in camp Diana]. Turns out Dougal really likes him, has met him, hung out, the whole shebang... and asked me (because of my very strong opinions) whether I had ever met the man, because obviously I had, if I had formed such strong opinions. EEERRRRGMMMMM. Negative. Never met the man. Dougal proceeded to say "its okay for people to just get opinions from the media..." the convo ended with me say: "well I guess he isnt toooooo bad...". Dear Lord! More wine?

Back to this BBQ... so it was great! We swam, we ate, we chatted, we drank, we swam some more. It was a delightful afternoon. The rain arrived towards the end of the feasting, which the kids LOVED! Its so warm here so they are never in very much danger of catching a cold from being wet and outside --- they were running around like mad things in the rain, loving getting wet.



The Watts came over for a wine coffee and chat later that evening. The girls had some milo!

Blankie and Baa Baa - two things the girls do not go without at bedtime


Nates going riding with Dougal on Saturday and we are planning a trip with them to Melaka. I pop down and see Liz and the girls often. We are really enjoying them and so thankful to have met such lovely people. Looking forward to our visitors (YOU!) meeting them.

1 comment:

  1. It has been such a pleasure meeting you both as well!! Bring on more wine, sorry I mean coffee x

    ReplyDelete