Pages

Wednesday 11 January 2012

The Association of British Women


Yesterday I joined The Association of British Women. They had a new comers coffee morning, which turned out to be such a delight! I went with a girl called Ali, who I randomly met on the street the night before. The room was packed full of women, all shapes, ages and sizes, happily chatting away. We all got name badges which was awesome, because I am such a Dori when it comes to names. 

The ABWM has a House in Bangsar, which is only a short drive away from where we live. The House is double storey, the down stairs area has couches and a help-your-self kitchen, with an office at the back and upstairs is a Pilate's/Yoga Room and comprehensive Library. The morning kicked off with about 30 of us going around the circle giving a little info about ourselves. I was definitely the youngest, and the newest. The committee Chairwoman, Sal, has a larger than life personality and in my eyes, the perfect woman for the role! 

It was interesting to meet all these woman and hear about their journeys on the Expat train. The most amazing women were the ones with kids - one lady I spoke to has been to 12 different countries with her husband, moving every 2 or so years, and she has 3 boys. Imagine an international move every two years... with kids! At every new place, having to pack, unpack, make home, get the kids in schools, find doctors, dentists... meet people. So much effort and energy. None I spoke to were over it or tired... just happy to be able to see the world and have a full life. 

I can see myself becoming very busy getting involved in different things the House offers. They do a lot of Charity work, have social sports clubs, language classes, cooking classes, coffee catchups, walking groups, wine appreciation nights, pantomimes, lunches, book clubs... the list goes on for pages and pages. 

My most favourite thing about the whole Association are the accents - that hot potato English accent is just music to my ears- straight out of Pride and Prejudice. That accent combined with comments like "Oh Gale, are we off to get botox this week or next? I cannot bear these unsightly bags under my eyes..." and "I find such purpose in my volunteering you know, once every 3 months, wouldn't want to over commit my time, I am rather busy with bridge and other social outings with the girls". Its all a roaring hoot and I am very very happy to be a member!

They greatest thing about them all, its that they all know what its like to be a new comer to KL. They are the most friendly and helpful women I have met so far. I can call the House for anything and they are all so willing. The best part of it all, was this morning, going to do some grocery shopping and seeing familiar faces... being able to stop and chat to ladies in the nuts section put a big smile on my face. 

God is so good. 

x


1 comment: