Pages

Monday 27 February 2012

A Rant on Behaviour

One of the units I am enrolled in at USQ is "Managing Supportive Learning Environments". Do you have any idea what this course is even about? 

Behaviour Management. Why did they not just call it that? So I am into my second week, and today have been listening to lectures about behaviour management. I feel pretty fired up right now about where behaviour management is going these days. I am WAY OLD SCHOOL. 

Basically, the original behaviour theory said that our behaviour, good and bad, is a result of an individuals history of both positive and negative consequences... we will exhibit behaviour that results in pleasant consequences and reduce/avoid behaviour which results in unpleasant consequences. That has now been criticised. Surprise Surprise (the Greens probably got involved). Apparently "the idea of consequences deny's free will and the capacity to make decisions"

So as a result we have moved to a Cognitive-Behaviour Theory where the emphases is on a individuals capacity to make choices about their behaviour. The learners need to choose behaviour and how they will respond and its the teachers responsibility to guide and encourage that. 

Where punishment was a deterrent for unacceptable behaviour and still is widely accepted within society as a response to anti social behaviour - it has been totally removed from Australian schools (according to a paper that was apparently released by the Australian Government in 2003). "Punishment and Coercion is no longer an accepted practise in Australian schools, the focus is now on supporting students to behave appropriately" 

HOW 
FAGUE
IS
THAT
?

I mean seriously, what does "supporting learning environments even mean"? What kind of individuals are going to be coming out of school and into society is there is no idea of consequences to actions? How are they going to cope with consequences in the real world if they lack them in a school system? I thought school was meant to prepare you for the big wide world. One case response we have to do: learners are found smoking pot on school grounds. Appropriate response: no punishment according the the Australian Government! Maybe just a little polite talking too (nothing too aggressive as you may infringe on their social rights at a citizen!). What happens when they caught in the streets on the real world? Straight to jail my friend, go not pass go and collect your $200. 

What are we teaching our children in school and how on earth is a teacher to get control of a classroom when the idea of punishment is no longer appropriate?

I am so looking forward to the lectures where they EQUIP us on how to be a supportive teacher. 

Look, I am not promoting abuse and harsh punishment which is a little over the top, I think there should be a balance between this new theory of support and the old theory of consequences for things which just are not cricket. 

For my teacher readers like Lou, Jess and Jo, some insights from you would be appreciated!

I hope I have no offended anyone!

1 comment:

  1. I've written a response on FB but I'll just say - I agree with you wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete