Pages

Tuesday 1 May 2012

2 years on

This day, 730 days ago is still a very clear day in my mind. One I love remembering.

There was this boy, this really really hot, tall, scruffy aussie boy, that I was super keen on. It was a Saturday. It was my birthday the following day.  This boy invited me over to his house to celebrate the beginning of the "festival of Ruth" - a weekend to celebrate my 25th birthday. I think he was flirting with me.

I woke up, super early. After not sleeping at all. I was that excited. I had consistent butterflies in my stomach ever since I had met him a month previously. And now he had invited me over. Eeeek. I remember that feeling so well. 11am was when I was too arrive. He had something planned. But it was like 4am, what the heck was I going to do until 11am?

I arrived at Milkd cafe at 8am, got a coffee, bought a magazine. Sat there for an hour. Then decided to get something to eat. I didnt feel like eating. I was so nervous. I got a muffin. A white choc and raspberry muffin to be exact. I sat there for another hour. Clock watching. Then I felt sick. Literally sick to my stomach. What was going on! Why was I so nervous? After having a little yack in the rustic bathrooms of Milkd cafe in North Perth, I called a friend. Chris Noonan. "I am so nervous. I am so so nervous. What happens is he doesn't like me and he is just inviting me over as a friend and I am reading into it". Babbling. I was babbling.

11am on the dot I pulled into 121 Orrong Road. That was probably the first time I had ever been on time for anything. And there he was. Safetly glasses on. Earplugs. Gloves. Moving the lawn. In old rolled up baggy jeans, a dark green holey button up shirt, a blue trucker cap and a pair of dirty white dunlop volleys. Who would have thought moving the lawn could look so hot!

He was selling his house, and had a home opening on, at 2pm. But first, over a couple of Little Creatures and pies we watched the footy. A perfectly aussie way to open the "festival of Ruth". After cleaning up, Marcus arrived to make sure everything was ready for the home open. Another car pulled into the drive. Out got Jess, Mike, Rach and Belle and a very new baby Eli. After 30 mins or so, Marcus suggested we all leave, home open was now... open.

I am not 100% clear on how it came about, but Nate decided to take me on a drive. I had never been further than Joondalup so he took me to the furtherest north I have ever been... I think it was just past Burns Beach. We had a nice walk on the beach. I remember thinking what he was intending! There were were strolling on a windy day along the shore. My heart was soaring. I honestly do not remember a time where I was happier :-)

Nathanael Christopher Olaf Buma, asked me to be his girlfriend on that day, 1 May 2010.

One of the first photos we had together

3 comments:

  1. Festival of Ruth?? Flirting? Uh, YEAH!

    I for one am super glad he asked you to be his girl...and his wife...= my sister in law!

    1 more sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for this day! And I am pretty sure if my memory serves me correct, we were asked over to give our tick of approval, which was not needed, but we gave a definite YES anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely!! I have never heard the story of the beginning.... Thanks Ruth.... we are very Blessed to have you part of our family Love M and P XXOO :-)

    ReplyDelete